Work related reports
As Sunlabob strives to become the largest provider for renewable energy solutions in the Lao PDR, we must remain abreast of energy issues within the country. We offer a selection of links and reports providing information on energy and related issues in Laos.
Lao PDR Government Reports
- Electric Power Plants in Laos, Feb 2011 (145 KB)
- Lao population census (2.2 MB)
- National Growth and Poverty Eradication Strategy (1.21 MB)A government strategy report which discusses their energy and rural electrification plans.
- Electric Power plants in Laos (42 KB)Power Development Plan in Laos as of July 2007
- Renewable Energy in Lao PDR, Oct 2006 (820 KB)Presentation from the Lao government discussing the current status of and government policies for renewable energy in Laos.
- National Socio-Economic Development Plan, Oct 2006 (1.56 MB)Government strategies and plans, including infrastructure.
- Power Sector Development in the Lao PDR, Oct 2006 (2.27 MB)An excellent, easy-to-read summary of the history, policies, plans, and maps of power development in the country.
- Current Status and Challenges regarding New & Renewable Energies in Lao PDR, Feb 2006 (2 MB)A presentation from the New & Renewable Energies Training Program 2005, a seminar held in Tokyo, presented by the Lao government. Describes the country’s current power status and discusses the potentials for renewable energy.
- Rural Electrification Frameworks Study, Sep 2004 (1.5 MB)
- Decree of the President of the Lao PDR: On the Promulgation of the Law of Electricity, May 1997 (190 KB)
Official decree of the Lao government on the Electricity Law.
World Bank Reports
- Impact of the Global Financial Crisis and Recent Economic Developments in Lao PDR, Jun 2009 (1.15 MB)The Lao PDR Economic Monitor is issued in Lao and English, twice a year (Spring and Autumn) by the World Bank Office in Lao PDR. The Spring issue - Mid-Year Update - reports mainly on recent economic developments and medium-term outlook for the country.
- Economic Impacts of Sanitation in Lao PDR, May 2009 (1.57 MB) This study shows for the first time that a significant number of people living with unimproved household sanitation imposes a large financial and economic loss on the Lao PDR economy, not only to private individuals but also to the public and commercial sectors.
- Lao PDR Economic Monitor, Apr 2008 (770 KB) Report issued twice a year covering economic developments that have occurred in Lao PDR in the previous six months. There is also a Lao version of the document (980 KB).
- Lao PDR Economic Monitor, Nov 2007 (1.5 MB) Report issued twice a year covering economic developments that have occurred in Lao PDR in the previous six months.
- Reducing Investment Climate Constraints to Higher Growth, 2007 (5.2 MB)A private sector and investment climate assessment which discusses infrastructure quality, including electricity grid services, tariffs, supply, and outages.
- Development Committee Communiqué, Oct 2007 (50 KB)Memo on the future strategic direction of the World Bank Group, discusses their plans to develop a strategy related to climate change.
- Selling Solar: Lessons From More than a Decade of IFC’s Experience, Jul 2007 (2.8 MB)Report describing experiences and case studies in regards to rural electrification, includes recognition of Sunlabob and our use of the Solar Development Foundation’s consumer financing handbook.
- Lao PDR Economic Monitor May 2007 (700 KB)Report issued twice a year covering economic developments that have occurred in Lao PDR in the previous six months.
- Sector Plan for Sustainable Development of the Mining Sector in Lao PDR, Nov 2006 (1.7 MB)Outlines the potential of mineral resources in Lao, includes a discussion of national electricity situation and an excellent map of the Lao grid.
- Implementation Completion Report on a Credit and a Grant to the Lao PDR for a Southern Provinces Rural Electrification Project, Jun 2005 (260 KB)Detailed report on southern electrification project, including grid extension and off-grid electrification.
- Solar Lighting for the Base of the Pyramid - Overview of an Emerging Market, Oct 2010 (9.18 MB)This report presents an overview of current and projected market trends for off-grid lighting. It was commissioned and coordinated by Lighting Africa, a joint initiative from IFC and the World Bank.
- Towards a Locally Adapted Rural Electrification Assessment Framework: A Case Study of the Lao PDR, Aug 2010 (180 KB)Research paper on rural electrification in the context of Lao PDR
- Shared Pico Hydropower Demonstration Project in Angsang Village, Feb 2010 (440KB)Article about the Shared Pico Hydropower Demonstration Project in Angsang Village, Huaphanh Province.
- Report about the Solar Charging Stations in Uganda, Dec 2009 (112KB)Report about the Solar Charging Stations which are run in a cooperation of Sunlabob's franchisee TSSD and AgriNet in Uganda.
- Study on the potential use of micro financing in support of CDM projects in LDC countries, Dec 2009 (1,05MB)The purpose of this study is to identify possible synergies between the CDM, especially CDM Programme of Activities, and Microfinance mechanisms.
- A Primer on CDM Programme of Activities, Sep 2009 (1.05MB)The purpose of this Primer is to shed light on the basic aspects of designing, developing and implementing GHG emissions reductions under the concept of Programme of Activities (PoAs).
- Development Outlook Laos, Apr 2008The Asian Development Outlook, popularly known as the ADO, is a series of annual economic reports on the developing member countries (DMCs) of the Asian Development Bank. The ADO provides a comprehensive analysis of macroeconomic and development issues for the DMCs of ADB. Download the PDF of the ADO Laos, Apr 2008.
- Technical and Economic Feasibility of Hydro-Diesel Village Grids for Rural Electrification in Laos, Nov 2007 (810 KB)Presentation discussing potential for Hybrid Village Grids, focusing specifically on use of hydro power and jatropha biofuel.
- Development Outlook Laos, Mar 2007The Asian Development Outlook, popularly known as the ADO, is a series of annual economic reports on the developing member countries (DMCs) of the Asian Development Bank. The ADO provides a comprehensive analysis of macroeconomic and development issues for the DMCs of ADB. Download the PDF of the ADO Laos, Mar 2007.
- The Importance of Micro Hydropower for Rural Electrification in Lao PDR, 2006 (5 MB)An evaluation of the status and needs of existing micro hydropower plants and suggestions of possible new sites in Lao PDR.
- InfoResources Focus No 2/06: Sustainable Energy – Rural Poverty Alleviation (270 KB)
InfoResources Focus is published three times a year in three languages. It is available free of charge. InfoResources is a network that supplies and spreads information on natural resources and international cooperation. InfoResources is funded by Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). This issue from 2006 focuses on renewable energy in alleviating poverty. Includes many excellent links.
- Statistic of electrified and un-electrified of the villages in Laos (10 KB)
Information on the national grid and the number of villages and households electrified.
- Energy Status in Lao PDR, Nov 2005 (550 KB)Final Report of the Asia Pro Eco project - Diagnostic Study on Renewable energy Potential and Feasibility in South East Asia
- Solar PV plants in Lao PDR, Nov 2005 (380 KB)Final Report of the Asia Pro Eco project - Diagnostic Study on Renewable energy Potential and Feasibility in South East Asia
- Lao National Committee for Energy
Website of the national committee, with information on the Lao Energy Sector, including institutional structure, projects, and plans.
- Electricite du Laos
The official site for the state enterprise energy company.
- UNDP Lao PDR – Energy & Environment for Sustainable Development
- Millennium Development Goals Indicators – Lao PDR
Official UN site for Lao’s progress in meeting the goals.
- Kyoto Protocol
- Lao PDR - European Community Strategy Paper for the Period 2007-2013 (PDF)
- Rural Poverty Portal: Rural Poverty in Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Powered by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), this is a website where everyone can share information about eradicating rural poverty.
- Power system development plan, prepared for EDL
Plan by Maunsell Limited in association with Lahmeyer GmbH. A report outlying the plans for Lao's national grid system which discusses the current energy situation in Lao and includes excellent maps of the national grid.
- Overview on Electricity Consumption in Lao PDRDomestic electricity consumption increased by four-fold, from 220 GWh to 883.7 GWh, during the period 1991 to 2003.
- Hope Solar Tower
Solar towers are among the more ambitious attempts being made to capture solar energy more effectively than through photovoltaic panels.